Usergroups define members of the WolfQuest community forums. There are several different groups, each with their own unique permissions, ranks and members. Most groups cannot be joined without an administrator's invitation, while others are freely open and can be joined without approval.
Like most forums, WolfQuest's community has three defined staff groups.
WolfQuest Team Members
- Main article: WolfQuest Team
- Main article: Usergroups/Administrators
It is very rare for volunteers (so far only current or former moderators) to be taken into consideration as candidates for membership in this usergroup.
- Main article: Usergroups/Moderators
All current moderators share access to dedicated private forums suitable to the needs of their duties.
The remainder of the community consists of members who are neither classed as staff nor employees of the team.
- Main article: Usergroups/Beta Testers
Beta Testers consist of staff and non-staff members of the WolfQuest community. These members assist with the testing of new versions of the game before they are publicly released, hence the name. They have no unique usergroup color and no unique rank. In the past, they were represented by pink names; it is unclear why this was changed.
Members who are beta testers are not permitted to share the beta build of WolfQuest. Doing so terminates their position as a beta tester. Various testers help root out potential bugs and glitches before the game is publicly released.
Registered UsersRegistered Users is the default registered group people are placed in after registering if they are 13 or older. Members who are younger than 13 are instead assigned to the Registered COPPA Users group. All new accounts created as of November 2012 are added to the Newly Registered Users group, meaning posts require moderator approval before appearing publicly visible to other members. After at least one post that increments the user's post counter has been approved, the member loses newly-registered status. These three groups all share the same usergroup color, dark goldenrod.
Because there are over 700,000 registered accounts, it's not feasible to post all accounts ever created here! However, you can easily sift and search though pages upon pages of registered accounts on WolfQuest's own memberlist.
Celebrating # years of WQ
- Main article: Anniversary
This group is freely open and can be joined without approval. Join the usergroup in the User Control Panel here.
The group also has a dedicated special avatar gallery, which can be accessed in the User Control Panel > Profile > Edit avatar page and clicking "Gallery avatars". All images in the gallery are free-use.
A closed group operated and maintained by WolfQuest community moderators, the Image Tags usergroup was created in January 2015 to grant the community the ability to post images albeit in a moderated group setting with Dave's approval. It has no special rank or color; users do not need to assign it as their default group due to it having a passive effect regardless of the user's defined primary usergroup. Anyone in this usergroup can post images to specific forums without being limited to post approval in WolfQuest-related sections.
Group leaders reserve the right to remove members if they post content that does not comply with the Forum Guidelines. Thanks to the group setting, this penalty only applies to the individual. In this way, it does not ruin the experience for anyone else other than problem users.
To join the group, there is the requirement of having a registered account for at least one month and having posted actively enough on the forums to be considered. Joining the group will send a request to the leaders, who will then approve or deny the request according to these eligibility guidelines.
Senior MembersSenior Members are long-running or well-established members of the WolfQuest community forums, whose usernames are adorned in silver/platinum to imply both age and experience within the community, however this can be viewed subjectively. Joining this group requires 1,000 counted posts as shown on a user's profile and having been a member of the community for at least a year. All applicants are reviewed by the group's leaders and approved or rejected according to these requirements.
User of the Month
- Main article: Usergroups/User of the Month
The first batch ran from the beginning of 2008 until August 2013. The second batch was officially reinstated at the beginning of February 2015.
Former Users of the MonthFormer Users of the Month is a sub-group setting for User of the Month added on July 24th 2017 due to the decline in potential User of the Month candidates. This group allows previous members from past months and years to wear the blue name, albeit with a modified rank title and badge.
The following usergroups have been retired and are no longer open for recruitment.
WolfQuest Report Team
- Main article: Usergroups/Report Team
Members of this group would frequently patrol multiplayer and report games that breach the multiplayer rules. New members were invited if their reports showed consistent quality over quantity and included valid screenshots that could be used as evidence. As of December 2012, no new Report Team members were sought due to staff and project changes. As of November 2015, all former Report Team members were reinstated into the group and its rank was then changed to WQ Report Team Retiree.
All Report Team members shared access to a dedicated private/hidden forum for their reporting and discussion needs. This forum was locked some time after its retirement.
Newbie Teacher ProgramMembers of the Newbie Teacher Program usergroup were actually teachers in the program; students gain no membership to the group unless they graduate and apply as a teacher themselves. These users focused on teaching new members (commonly referred to as "newbies" in most communities) about the game, community forums or both, depending on their specialist areas.
The program itself has changed hands numerous times. It was originally founded by wowee333, then passed over to -Larka-, Alpha Female, Boltk9 and ZeRivet. It is currently under the leadership of CaffeineCollie.
On June 14th 2017, the usergroup for the Newbie Teacher Program was removed due to declining interest and activity within the program.
The following groups cannot be joined.
Ban ParrotBan Parrot is a joke usergroup complete with its own account that started between Cana and the moderators. It is the only group with a vibrant violet username, unique comedic rank and one sole member. Though it is a member of the Global moderators usergroup, the account itself serves only as a running gag and comic relief. It is not counted as a moderator and does not conform to the moderator expectations, much in the same way as serving administrators and members of the WolfQuest Team.
The account's avatar was created by Sambhur before Cana left the community in January 2013. Prior to this, it did not have an avatar. Ban parrot was previously an aesthetic unused account. During early January 2015, it made its first post in the General Discussion topic.
GuestsThis is the default group people are identified as if they haven't registered and logged in. Guests have no name color, rank and cannot participate in topics, nor can they send or receive private messages. They can read all guest-accessible forums but have no access to any private/hidden sections.
When an account is deleted and its posts are retained, they are handled by the 'Anonymous' account, used as a surrogate account for all deleted accounts' remaining posts. This is a default to the forum software. By technicality, this means Anonymous has the highest possible post count.
BotsBots generally consist of web crawlers operated by companies owned by search engines. For example, if you Google WolfQuest, it appears in the top few results on the first page. They are used by some archiving services.
Bots are easily distinguishable by their amethyst smoke colored usernames. They have no registered accounts and therefore no profile, so their usernames cannot be clicked. This is the main difference between a bot and a registered account.
- Due to a major crash in the past that caused several accounts to disappear while still being accounted for in the user database, there are several glitched pages on the memberlist. It's not known how many accounts were affected besides one moderator account at the time, which was successfully recovered. The original Pack Central forum was also lost along with many topics and more than a thousand posts; when the team was unable to recover it, a new Pack Central was created. These still exist on the database, but are strangely omitted- attempting to view topics from the old Pack Central forum will result in a "thread does not exist" error.
- This instance is why Alpha Female's join date is January st 1970. Her real registration date was June 12th 2009 prior to the crash.
- This crash also caused numerous forum problems. To this day, several are still present and unfixed. This includes problems with the search feature and omitted pages with some topics and forums.
- On 1st April 2011, moderators' green names were switched to the yellow associated with the User of the Month. Registered Users had the green name for the day, minus the powers and responsibilities. Administrators obtained the gold colour associated with Registered Users and the User of the Month had the red name for the day, minus the powers and responsibilities. On 2nd April, the change was reverted, though the prank ultimately bit Cana when it unexpectedly failed to revert all users' names back to gold. Combined with the forum lag, the action could have timed-out, leaving several accounts with mod-green names after the prank. This was resolved within days of the prank.
- On 1st April 2015, a similar prank resurfaced. Check the Moderators#Trivia and User of the Month#Trivia pages for more information. A "Stick Council" usergroup was created for members of the "Stick Cult", run by a very well-known member of the WolfQuest community with several of WolfQuest's own moderators as its members. All its members gained a pink username and a rank unique to the group itself. This group was kept for one week and was hidden once the event concluded. It was later modified to become another usergroup. A Were Wabbits usergroup was created for non-Stick Cult members and non-moderators.
- The Anonymous account's UID is 1. However, the account does not have a viewable profile due to it being a Guest surrogate so you will always be greeted with a non-existent account message. Its UID can only be seen by the webmaster in the database, and management of the account is fully possible. Moderators may also assign anon as a post author. Its post count is only viewable in private messages - this in turn only being visible where a member has requested that their account is deleted as long as you still have a PM sent from a deleted account.
- As of 23rd April 2015, most ranks now have a badge associated with them. A second wave was added on the 11th July 2015.
- 2017 marks the last year of operation for the anniversary usergroup; it will close after July 2018.
- ↑ The "WolfQuest Administrator" rank was added on 23-Apr-2015.
- ↑ This rank is completely optional and may be instated per moderator request.
- ↑ http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=67130
- ↑ http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=82893 wolfquest.org • 10 Years of WolfQuest: Forum Anniversary]
- ↑ Post approval was formerly enforced for Registered Users in order to allow image posting in a limited selection of forums; this has since been withdrawn in favor of this usergroup.
- ↑ This rank was completely optional and may be instated or changed per the Report Team member's request.
- ↑ As confirmed here: wolfquest.org • What is the Ban Parrot?
- ↑ As shown in this screenshot: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2285482#p2285482
- ↑ It should also be noted that the Anonymous account is unlisted and doesn't appear on the memberlist at all; the highest post count for listed accounts is Riceboy.
- ↑ See: http://web.archive.org/web/20150403224245/http://wolfquest.org/bb/index.php?mobile=desktop and http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/wolfquest/images/c/cf/Wqcommunityforum.png/revision/20150516035729
- ↑ As posted- 23-Apr-2015, 11-Jul-2015.
|Staff||Employees||Eduweb • Minnesota Zoo|
WolfQuest Team Members • Administrators
|Non-staff||Memberships||Registered Users (COPPA) • 10pxAnniversary • Senior Members • Image Tags|
|Non-memberships||Former Moderators • Ban Parrot • Report Team • 10pxBeta Testers • User of the Month|
| Game Accounts|
2.7 and newer
|Staff roles||Admin (Eduweb)|
|User roles||Members • COPPA Members|